~~Mel~~

~~Mel~~

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Extreme Makeover - Me Edition - Week 7

The fabulous Amber started this weekly post over at AEFilkins...so stop on by her blog to find out how to 'play' along.

First off, I want to thank you girls so much for giving me the support and encouragment I needed last week...each and every one of your comments meant alot to me...and the fact of the matter is it's not like I've been sitting on my couch eating potatoe chips...so why am I being so hard on myself???

Second, I received the following email last week (at work):

"Wellness" is everyone's concern - and our health and well being is not only important to our own families and loved ones, it is important to our Fillmore family as well. We started the year with our ergonomic seminar, but that was just the beginning. The firm is committed to the health, wellness and well being of all of our staff and lawyers and this is the launch of our commitment to ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to improve their wellness !!

We have been consulting with Winnipeg in Motion as well as numerous wellness institutes in order to learn how to develop and implement a Wellness Program that will benefit everyone in our firm. "The health benefits associated with being physically active on a regular basis can be achieved through a minimum of 3 short 10-minute sessions spread throughout the day or through longer sessions of moderately intense activities such as brisk walking". This is where we begin.

Our first challenge is............................................

TREKKING THE TRANS CANADA !!

This might sound daunting - but read on............you are going to be as surprised as we were !

Most adults spend over half their waking hours at work
Walking is the number one activity among Canadians

"The World Health Organization supports that regular physical activity reduces the risk of numerous chronic conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, Type 2 diabetes and several cancers." Our Fillmore family is valuable, and we want everyone to be able to participate and benefit so we want to start with walking - on lunch, during your break or at home in the evenings.

We want to "Trek the Trans Canada" and believe that we can do it. The Trans Canada Highway from St. Johns to Victoria is 7821 km. This would take approx, 30 people walking 5 km per day only 52 days. It is truly amazing what we can achieve if we work together to improve our wellness. But that's not all. Everything you do, gardening, cycling, golfing, weight training, running, washing the car and even painting your house can all be converted to kilometers to help achieve our goal !!!!!

So I've been keeping track on a calendar they gave us...and mapped out the walking route that me and my friend E do everyday at lunch and it's 1.63 miles....give or take a little because we sometimes steer a little away from our regular route.

Not to mention I've managed to get on my elliptical 2 of the 3 times I had hoped to...and my water intake has increased dramatically! So I believe I am pretty darn close to reaching all of my last week's goals.

It's really hard to give up soda/pop when you are used to having about 3 a day...I haven't totally given it up but I'm down to having just one with Dinner...the rest of the evening it's water (which I sometimes add Crystal Light to...because I still don't love the taste of water...and yes of course it has a taste! lol).

Amber is asking this week:

"We're all here at EM:ME because we're unhappy with our bodies, or our health; there are things that we are trying to change.But today you must share one thing with everybody that you absolutely love about yourself"

Hmmm, initially I thought that meant in a physical sense...so I thought about it awhile and came up with...my legs...I've always had nice long legs...and even when I gained some weight my legs didn't let me down in that they stayed nice and toned and of course they'll always be long lol.

Then after reading Amber's answer I thought well this question just means 'in general'...so I figured I'd throw that in here too. I'm often told I'm a great mix of fun and responsible...I'm easygoing yet when it really matters I can be a tough ass. Life is meant to be fun...but of course we need to take care of all the stuff that needs taking care of too!

I'm excited to read how all your week's were...but I'm busy with work...blech...

9 comments:

Staci said...

Great job! You are doing fantastic! I am envious of your legs! That is where all of my weight goes... :( When I was pregnant one of the girls I baby sat for said they looked like tree trunks.... lol! I cried :) Keep up the great work!

Amber Filkins said...

I think that's awesome! It's great when I business steps up and takes initiative with their employees to promote fitness & wellness. I think they need to incorporate & allow for it b/c really, most people are at work all day long. I think it's great that you girls walk that much during the day!!

And you did awesome this week! Props to you for cutting back on the soda. I'm trying too. I always hear my veterinarian sister in law in my head telling me, "That will pickle your liver!!". lol

I agree, I feel I'm a good mix of fun & responsibility too. I'm "well rounded". lol.

Mr. Linky is there, I don't know what happened, but it's there now.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a great personality to go with those smokin' legs! ;)

That's a really good walk you do every lunch break. Wow!

Lynn said...

I busted out with the shallow route-saying how my hair is my favorite part of me...then I read blogs of people that are obviously better that I am, I will be looking up to you!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Way to go! 1.63 miles every day sounds great to me! Walking, in itself, is a great exercise. You should be proud of all that you're accomplishing :)

Xazmin said...

Great job sticking with your goals!

Walking is so good for you. Before I had my last baby I lost over 60 lbs, and I did it by walking!

3 Peas in a Pod said...

Love your answer to this week's question!!

Way to go walking at lunch time. A buddy is always good to exercise with.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

Schmoochiepoo said...

I loathe exercise but have been walking er, should I say 'dragged' every night as the dog needs exercise.

So jealous of the nice pins..mine look like they belong on a chicken.

Schmoochiepoo said...

ps...did I mention I like the new look?